Try to use DIY beauty solutions instead of commercial products. Natural products have no chemical ingredients and come cheaper as well. Here are five simple recipes that you can easily prepare at home.
Homemade Deodorant with Candelilla Wax
3 tablespoons of coconut oil
3 tablespoons of baking soda
2 tablespoons of Candelilla wax
2 tablespoons of Arrowroot (discretionary) or organic cornstarch
Essential oils (discretionary)
- Melt the wax and coconut oil in a boiler using medium heat until it is almost liquefied. Combine in a quart-size glass jar with a cap pour in a small saucepan with water until it dissolves. Or, use a microwave oven.
- Add baking soda and arrowroot. If there’s no arrowroot, simply put additional baking soda.
- Mix and add essential oils before pouring into a glass container. You do not need to store in the refrigerator.
- Cool and place in an old deodorant stick for easier use. It may take several hours to harden. Speed up this process by putting in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
½ cup of almond, jojoba, or liquid oil
¼ cup Candelilla wax
1 teaspoon of Vitamin E oil (discretionary)
Essential oils such as vanilla and natural extract
- Combine almond (or liquid oil), coconut oil and Candelilla wax in a double boiler.
- Stir intermittently as the ingredients melt.
- Add vitamin E oil and any essential oils such as vanilla.
- Pour in a jar or tin.
- Use within six months for the best moisturizing results.
¼ cup of organic cornstarch or arrowroot powder
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
5 drops of essential oils like lavender
Old makeup brush for applying
- Mix the essential with the arrowroot or cornstarch. Place the mixture in a small jar or old powder container.
- Apply on the roots or oily parts of your hair.
DIY Wet or Dry Spray Shampoo (Light or Dry Hair)
½ cup of warm water
¼ cup of cornstarch
¼ cup of rubbing alcohol
- Combine all ingredients in a small spray bottle. Shake thoroughly before spraying on your hair.
½ cup of brown or white organic sugar
½ cup of olive or coconut oil
Essential oils (optional only)
- Put together all the ingredients and place inside an air-tight jar.
- Use one tablespoon as needed. Scrub your skin with the blend and rinse well.
Olive, Hazel Nut, Sunflower, or Castor oil
- For oily skin = Blend 1/3 castor or hazel nut oil and 2/3 olive or sunflower oil.
- For combination skin = Mix ¼ castor or hazel nut oil and ¾ sunflower or olive oil.
- For dry skin = Add a small amount of castor or hazel nut oil with nourishing oils.
It may take you one week to adjust to the cleansing oil. You will notice a more oily skin since impurities are discarded. Avoid using harsh soap or facial cleanser.